Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Ultimate Catcher in the Rye Letter

Hello to the magical media world, my name is Chiara and I'm writing to spread interest about a book that if you never heard,  is called Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. The novel is extremely famous in the literary world! Since its such a moving story, I decided to write a letter, (as if I was Old Spencer, a character which plays the role of a teacher in the book.) to be able to express my interest to the story.


I am an absolute fan of sharing and reading/seeing pieces of art, writing and even music that people around the world have the talent to create! This is why I decided to share my work with any of you guys who will be able to read this!


Here is the piece of writing I, myself, put together. Hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoyed  writing it! It would also make my day if you could spend a few seconds writing a feedback in the comment section bellow so that I can apply any of your knowledge on the next piece of writing!


Dear Holden Caulfield,


Since we haven’t talked or seen each other from the day you came to my house to say goodbye, and I’ve heard you are in a complicated stage, I thought it would be a good idea to write to you. Ever since I met you, you have changed the way I think and see things around me.
I suppose all your complications and doubts and anger got to me. I sometimes wish I only knew your innocent and bright side, but I don’t. As surprisingly as it seems, I have never been able to approach difficult students before I met you. This is why I owe you so much.
Maybe you try to avoid the fact that you are one of the most interesting people at the age of only 17.
The day you walked into my class (late, of course), I knew I was about to get into a roller coaster. Everyone of us has their ups and downs.
You used to enter the class, walk up to your specific seat, and just stare at my face as if I was a very strange creature. I knew from the start that you were one of those kids, the ones that have a very strong opinion on things and really good convincing skills. I knew from the look in your face that you were the smart kind that liked to discuss things whenever you didn’t agree on it and not give up until the other person was on your side. I knew you were a book lover and that you took the majority of your random knowledge from there. You would read books in a day or so! I was convinced that you were the smart kind, that didn’t want anyone to know that you had everything under control.
At first, it was really hard to approach you, (it still is to be fair) but I have learned that to earn the trust of a special student, I would have to change my ways slightly when they were around.
I had to modify my teaching strategies in many ways so that you could feel comfortable talking to me and asking for help when you needed some. I know you have trust issues and that you actually HATE adults because of several reasons and I fully understand you. I never really asked you about your relationship with your folks, but it was clear from a start that you didn’t want them on your back, going to meetings and visiting you on the first day back to school. I’m also sorry if I annoyed you sometimes during class or outside of class. The truth is, teachers always just want to see their students get evolve and grow as human beings.
Everyday for approximately a year, I had to keep remembering myself to never give up on you, to always stay calm in situations in which you would just make me want to give up, and I never did but boy was it hard! I also had to learn how to use positive tones because I knew that if I you saw me go crazy, you would enjoy the class more. I also had to try to give you all my ears, that meant that anything you wanted to say, I had to hear and be attentive and helpful (even though I never actually saw you move your mouth during class).
The hardest one required more dedication and sweat, I had to always try to understand not only your goal in life but you. Even though you tried to convince me that you didn’t have a goal, I always knew that you did.
Kid, you may sometimes forget that you are still a child, and that you are still not responsible for yourself entirely. I’m sorry to tell you that this difficult stage is probably not over yet, but all you are going through is good for you and your future. You will live a life with a missing piece of a metaphorical puzzle because you no longer have your brother and you have now, been kicked out of four different schools but you need to always try to focus on the good things in life, your sister, your parents, Sally, your friends, the ducks in that lagoon right near the Central Park South and many other positive things in your life.
When I was your age, I was certainly scared of what was to come. I fell asleep at night thinking about all the bad things that could happen to me the next day. The truth is, we are all scared of something, for example; losing someone who brings us safety and comfort. I’ll tell you something kid, this is reality, we all go through tough times in which we just have to wish the sadness won't last long and hope for the best, and fearing growing up you’re not alone about. I think to some degree everyone is scared of growing up. When I was exactly your age, I was over terrified of college. I was so scared, that when school finished, I locked myself in my room for a week.
I know it sounds funny, and clichê and you will certainly pull a bad face while reading the rest of this letter, but you need to know that I believe in you. I believe that since the day your brother died, you became more sensitive. Which made you more passionate about certain things, for example your sister Phoebe. I know that you have lately became more protective of her. It is natural to get attached to things that reminds us of others.
My idea was to write something short, but since you are such an outstanding and extraordinary boy, there is no way I could fit in all my thoughts in a simple, short letter.
Holden, you are where you need to be and no matter what you do, you won't be able to change that. Things are the way they are and we will never be pleased. Its part of the human race.


From now on, it’s up to you to change and make your whole life work.


Create deep thoughts on everything I told you in this letter and reply if you would like me to go visit you someday in the future because I’d gladly come see you, son.


Oh and remember life is a game boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.


Good Luck…


Best Regards,
Old Spencer.
 ...

So far, by what you read and understood, do you think Holden will reply to the letter? What would you have done if you were in Old Spencer's shoe and what could I do to improve my impersonation? Oh and please remember to leave your feedback in the comment section bellow!

Thank you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment